~

~

Monday, July 26, 2010

Grammie

My Grammie was the most wonderful grandmother and she was truly a blessing to our family. I am thankful that I spent so much time with her growing up. I have so many special memories with her--birthdays, holidays, sleepovers with french toast for breakfast, family dinners, trips... She would read to me, sing to me, laugh with me, and took such great care of me. She was the most caring and positive person. She always said she had no regrets about her life--isn't that amazing? She loved the Lord and was a good Christian example to her family. My friends adopted Grammie as their Grammie and she was happy to have some extra grandkids!
My love and respect for Grammie only increased as I grew older. I enjoyed our conversations and hearing stories about when she was younger. I loved taking her to her hair appointments on Friday afternoons during my senior year of college. We would usually have to get "a little something sweet" afterwards. She was always so proud of her grandkids and what we were doing--graduations, weddings, jobs, buying our first houses, and making her a great grandmother. One of my fears was that she would never meet my children, but God answered my prayers because Grammie knew and loved Bailey.
Moving to California was hard because we were leaving our families and Grammie. My other fear was that I wouldn't be there when Grammie passed from this life to the next. God is so amazing and His timing is perfect. Our trip to Albuquerque this summer was decided around weddings, but I think God allowed me to be in Albuquerque at just the right time. We were able to spend some quality time with Grammie before she went into the hospital. I was able to spend some more one on one time with her too. It was her time to go and I'm forever grateful to have spent those last days with her.
There is so much I could write and at the same time there aren't enough words to express how I feel. I have a great example to look up and a legacy of love to follow.

Holding Matt when he was first born. Look at the huge smile on her face!
Surrounded by her five grandchildren.
She was such a pretty lady.
This is one of my favorite pictures with Grammie.
Surrounded by her grandchildren on her 80th birthday.


Sharing her love of reading with Bailey.
I miss you and love you, Grammie!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

what a sweet tribute, friend.

Amber said...

Grammie was such an amazing and beautiful woman. I can't believe how similar your mom looks to Grammie in the 2nd picture you posted. Thanks for sharing these great pictures! Your family is so precious!

Allison said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother!

Anonymous said...

I liked reading about "Grammie" and my memories of her from Mountainside were all good ones. She was always so sweet, and always smiling and kind. I'm sorry she passed, but am glad she is in a better place now. I'm sure you miss her dearly. Miss you!